Thursday, September 29, 2011

SCAMS.........ARE THEY LIERS?


What on earth is a scam? It is a way of lying to everyone and getting money for nothing and then taking more money they don’t have coming or is not owed to them. I was watching an ad about a local woman that had discovered a great new way to whiten teeth. Wow this sounded so convincing and you could get a free sample for only $4.99. Sure sounded like a great chance to try this out so yep you guessed it, I fell for it. Called them up and quickly ordered the free trial. I got it in the mail and didn’t get to try it right away. I actually put it in the drawer in the bathroom and forgot about it. In about 2 weeks my bank account was hit for $85.00. Could not for the life of me figure out what the charge was for. Before I knew it I had three charges for $85.00. I called the numbers I had and they were no longer in service. Finally got on the net and found a new number. When I talked to the rep I was asked, “didn’t you read the fine print?” and I said” where was that at?” Her answer was: It scrolled on the screen. Now how can you read fine print scrolling on a t.V. screen? I told them I wanted my money back and they said too bad.
Now my next move was to go to my bank and have a talk with them about stopping any more charges on my account. We all think banks won’t help, well let me tell you Citizens bank is the best. I told my manager the story and she immediately replaced all the money that was taken from me. I got a letter in the mail in about a month that informed me the bank had accused the company of fraud and gotten all the money back.
We all need to be aware of the many people that are willing to help us with these scams that bombard us each and every day. Always tell everyone you know about anyone or any corporation that is scamming you. We need to stick together and let the truth out.
Thanks for listening  

8 comments:

  1. Not only were they scammy and greedy, but even their 'free' sample was $4.99 (for starters). Yikes. You're right, people do need to speak up when they come across a scam. It just might save someone else a whole bunch of grief.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...ya hear this crap all the time. I have to tell ya I fell for one a few years back that included a fine print stipulation that I was signing up for the auto ship program by accepting the 'free' sample. The auto ship arrived and I returned it and called the company to cancel. It all went well, eventually, but it did require several calls. I got my $50.00 credited back to my acct after they rec'd their product back.
    Great blog...it's a nightmare out there, sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much........this is a touchy subject with me...why lie to get a few bucks...but is not a few bucks .....do the math

    ReplyDelete
  4. when we pay 3 bucks each time we get and atm money withdrawal............is that a scam?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karama will come back and bite them in the butt.. That is so wrong to do to someone!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I work for a credit union now so I hear these stories all the time (several times a week). There are so many people out there scamming. The most common ones I see are the ones stealing your VISA card number and confirmation info, then printing up a card with that info on it and using it as many times as they can until the bank's fraud monitor figures it out. But there are tons of others.

    As for the $3 fees for ATM's, and other fees we charge, I usually tell folks that we charge fees usually to cover some cost, particularly when a person (employee) has to do something because of the customer's transaction. Or we do it as a disincentive to discourage some activity. I think of those $3 fees as a disincentive for customers of other banks using our bank's ATMs, since they're really designed for our members and they're not cheap.

    If your bank is charging $3 to use *their own* ATMs, you should definitely consider switching banks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for your comments and they were very insightful. I love my bank so that is not the problem. You do need to change banks if you have no easy way of using an atm...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know someone who's boss was stealing her child support payments: like thousands of dollars worth!

    ReplyDelete