Monday, October 24, 2011

My Friend J.J.


How do I start to tell you about JJ? My little neighbor next door is 6 yrs old and a little toe head with a sweet personality. He likes to visit me when I am outside in the flowers or just sitting on my porch. Here he comes. “ Hi Miss Jeanne, what ya doin?” “Can I help you with something?”  My little helper.
 One afternoon in late summer, He decided to help me with my flowers. What a fun time we had. He also wanted to come in my house and see my cats, so we did. For a short time we went in and he got to pet the Kitty’s. As we were leaving he spotted 2 apples on the table and was eyeing them. “Hey JJ do you like apples?” and of course he was all for it. We got our apples and went outside to sit on the bench and eat them. Shortly after that, his Mom Vicki came looking for him. She walked right past us and then spotted us sitting on the bench eating our apples. She said she was looking for JJ and couldn’t find him. The wonderful thing was once she saw we were enjoying each others company she said. “ Well, I will go home now and you guys carry on.” Vicki is a great neighbor and we would usually chat for a while but this time was different. She could tell this was a special time for me and JJ and said “carry on”
I have a feeling younger children like to venture toward older people just because they have a curiosity about who they are. One of the most important things to do with the young ones is to listen. When you listen long enough you can then teach and also learn from them. It doesn’t matter what the subject is just learn something. We have lived so much longer and have so many things to laugh about and wonder why we didn’t think of it sooner. Whatever happens between the two of us is good for my soul and hope he learns something as we grow together. Life is fun so I think I will just live it.

12 comments:

  1. This was a real cute story. What I notice most about the time my mom spends with my kids...is the "patience" she has with them and like you said, she takes the time to stop and listen. This little 6 years old will always remember the apples and chat you had together. Very sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE IT! JJ just loves his Miss Jeanne & I know those moments will stay with him forever! Thank you for being a great influence in his life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you beachlover, We all remember someone older and different that we bonded with as a youngster. I hope I change something for the better in all little ones I touch.
    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Vicki, I hope any good influence stays with JJ forever. I would love to know I will be remembered.
    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so nice. JJ is lucky and Miss Jeanne, he will talk of you to his grand children. I have such a person in my life and I talk of him all the time. What a lucky little man. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Jo...we all need good people to help us grow with pride and kindness. So many are floundering and alone. Just love to love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great Story! Children are so intuitive! They seek to feed their growing minds with wisdom, and they know just where to find it!
    Marc :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. JJ is lucky to have such a kind, caring neighbor. I was very close to my maternal grandmother and although I lost her many years ago, her love is with me still.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE THIS..and was thinking THANK GOODNESS he wasn't friendly to the wrong type of person.

    ADORE innocence and the companionship of LOVE! and APPLES :0)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Frankly (and sorry Beachlover), I don't think JJ will always remember the apples and chat. I predict that that singular visit will be swallowed up in the years to come, and overwhelmed by so many other special visits and celebrations and shared secrets and worlds of wisdom and love. Sorry to be such a downer, but no; JJ will barely be able to separate that one particular blessing from all the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Mike for your insight into this little nice day JJ and I had. Hopefully since he lives next door to me we will have many more great adventures as he grows up. No one remembers everything but some never forget a sweet moment.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooops. Perhaps I am too clever by half; I certainly meant to imply that this one great visit with you would be buried in his many more of the same WITH YOU!. As I re-read my comment above I see that my facetiousness may have failed drastically. If JJ's memory is any better than mine (and everyone's is) he will recall the 'apples and chat' visit because it will have been the first among many.

    ReplyDelete